is a hands-on learning entrepreneurship course where proven business methods are learned and put into practice individually
and within teams
to understand the fundamentals and details of starting a company from an idea to a customer product in 6-Weeks (just 2 hours an evening for 4 days a week).
The focus at The District is working on solid business ideas and building real products that customers will buy.
After the 6-Weeks you can leave with a real company of your own and/or continue to work on an awesome team idea. The course encompasses 5 overarching questions.
- What Problem Are You Solving? - Bring your ideas. You will first work on them individually, then form teams around an idea to deliver a Customer Pitch in front of an audience. All business ideas are welcome, from ice cream shops to software apps!
- Who Is Your Customer? - Unlike the current trend in the startup world to immediately pitch an idea to investors, we deemphasize the notion of raising money first in order to focus on finding paying customers first. Customers are your Investors.
- How Are You Going To Sell It? - Customer research and validation is key to determining how you will make money. The value is in understanding who they really are and how you are going to help them. Be one with the Customer.
- How Are You Going To Market It? - Once you identify your potential customers, we will build a custom strategy to tell your story and market to them in a way that fits both your customer and business. Don’t try to do Everything. Lasers not Shotguns.
- What Is Your Noble Cause? - Why You? and Why Does it Matter? We’ll learn about the importance of finding the thing that makes you excited to bounce out of bed every morning and that you just can't stop thinking about when you go to sleep. That is where the magic lives.